Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Rainy Day but a least Spring is here!

We had one of the longest winters this year or so I'm told.  Can you believe a snow flurry as late as April 18th - to be exact?!  

Being laid off has given me some time to rediscover Boston.  I had two friends visit me back to back last week. I marched them all over Boston after having them attend gym classed with me in the morning.

 Joanne brought over some Meyer lemons from her backyard in San Francisco. (I tried to grow a dwarf lemon tree indoors but we had to get rid of it because of the fruit flies) We tried out one of the recipes from the April issue of Gourmet magazine.  We nixed any recipe that used over a stick of butter and settled on "Lemon Snow Pudding with Basil Custard Sauce" which didn't use any.   We were initially horrified with the packed cup of basil leaves that the recipe asked for - "What is this?  Pesto sauce?"  Actually, the leaves were steeped in the milk for the custard.  The ensuing product was a disproportionate amount lemon snow with a little less that 2 cups of custard if we were to follow the magazine photo as opposed to the directions for using the custard as topping for the snow.  The Lemon Snow was delicious - unexpected and really light.  It falls into my category of grown-up desserts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment