Thursday, May 7, 2009

Basil and Lemons part II (Lemon Yogurt Cake)

This is all I have left of the Meyer lemons that Joanne brought over from San Francisco.  I'm trying ways to stretch out the lemon usage.   The Lemon Yogurt Cake from Dorie Greenspan's book Baking was intriguing and even more so because it didn't require a pound of butter.


I'm actually a terrible baker in that I refuse to follow recipes to a T.  My husband doesn't think I can bake proper cookies (except for the chocolate chip cookies from the Mrs Fields Cookie Book) - "they don't taste right".  I don't measure accurately which is really important in baking for the correct chemical reactions to occur.  However, even with my loose measuring - less sugar that what the recipe asked for 3/4 i/o 1 cup, poured some vanilla in it, and a rough 1/2 cup of yogurt (basically what I left over), the cake came out beautifully.  I did use almond meal for the almond flour (I think they're the same).  Instead of the lemon marmalade, I saved the juice of the lemon, poured it into a bowl with 1/4 cup sugar, mixed it and microwaved it for 2- 30 second intevals.  Surprise!  I came out with a really nice lemony syrup.

The cake was wonderful - the Meyer lemons are so much more aromatic than the normal lemons.


No comments:

Post a Comment